Monday, April 29, 2013

Recipe: Paleo Pepper Steak

I've been making the non-paleo version of this dish for many years now. I got the original recipe from my mother-in-law, who got it from an old cookbook that she's had since she was a young woman. I've since adapted the recipe for my family, but I recently decided to see if I could successfully turn it into a paleo recipe. It worked really well. I couldn't tell the difference, and neither could my husband, who absolutely LOVES the non-paleo version. However, I noticed that the tamari seemed saltier than soy sauce. At the end of cooking the beef, if the sauce seems salty to you, feel free to add more water before deglazing and reducing.

I serve this over rice -- either white or a wild rice medley -- for my husband and son, but of course that's not paleo; you can separately make cauliflower rice beforehand, or use roasted spaghetti squash or shaved zucchini instead. Also, this recipe is very easy to double, and I usually do so because we're happy to eat the leftovers for dinner the next night. It makes my week a little easier that way. :-) The photos below are of a doubled recipe of the dish.


Paleo Pepper Steak
Serves 3-4

Ingredients
  • 1 lb top round steak or London broil [grass-fed]
  • 2 or 3 medium bell peppers (any color)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/3 cup tamari (wheat-free soy sauce) [the brand I used] or coconut aminos
  • 3/4 Tbsp arrowroot starch [the brand I used]
  • 1/2 Tbsp coconut sugar or palm sugar [the brand I used]
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger (optional)
  • 1/3 cup water

Method

Seed bell peppers and cut in julienne strips. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet using low heat. Add the peppers and cook slowly. (This method will yield very tender, soft peppers. If you prefer crunchy, al dente peppers, then stir fry them over medium-high heat instead, until they're cooked to your taste.)


While the peppers are cooking, combine tamari, arrowroot starch, sugar, black pepper, and ginger (if using) in a medium bowl and mix well. Slice beef into very thin strips (about 1/8 inch thick or less) -- it helps if you slice the beef while it's only partially defrosted so it holds shape better -- and add to the mixture in the bowl. Coat beef thoroughly.

Saute peppers until tender, as desired. Remove from skillet to a serving bowl and set aside.


Increase the burner to high heat and add remaining oil to the skillet. Once the oil starts to shimmer, fry the beef until the redness disappears. Remove the beef to the serving bowl with peppers.


To make the sauce, add 1/3 cup of water to the skillet and stir through until the pan is deglazed. Cook until reduced in half, just a few minutes. Add back the beef and peppers and heat through. Serve over rice substitute (cauliflower rice, spaghetti squash, etc.) if desired. Enjoy!

xo, Gladys


Follow Desert Chic on Bloglovin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...