Monday, September 24, 2012

Sewing: Twinsanity and Newborn Pants


Sorry this post is a little late, but I just came out of a very special weekend: I whipped up four newborn pants (free pattern and tutorial by Made-by-Rae) while waiting to hear word about the birth of my twin nephews! They were born very early Sunday morning, and it was truly amazing to see them for the first time. My brother -- the new father -- was teary-eyed and so very happy. The new mom was incredible during her long labor.


Aren't they adorable? I know I'm biased because I'm their aunt, but seriously, they are delicious!! They are perfect. I can't believe how big they are ... my sister-in-law carried them to full term, and one was a whopping 7lbs 2oz while the other one was 6lbs 1oz. (They're fraternal twins, just in case you were wondering why they looked different.) She's not a super tall lady, maybe 5'5", but she managed to carry over 13 pounds of baby plus all that extra weight somehow. Incredible.


Anyway, the pants sewed up more quickly than the last time I used this pattern, in part because I didn't "pimp" them out with pockets or bias-tape hems. Instead, first thing after cutting, I simply hemmed the legs with a narrow double fold -- with wrong side facing up, fold over and press 1/4" then fold over and press another 3/8" before edgestitching the hem closed. (See below.) Easy as pie. At the very end, I sewed a tiny line of stitches at the very bottom of the inseams, to make sure that the hems don't unravel.


I used cotton flannel for the first set of two, and plain woven cotton for the second set. The flannel sewed up very easily because the nap on the fabric makes it more stable. The flannel will be good for when the weather cools off a bit, but I think the owls are much cuter. I can't wait until the babies fit into them. :-)

Special thanks to all my models for this post! I love them all!

xo, Gladys

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughts here. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...